Aug 23, 2012

Why I Chose to Run in 4/4 Time


This is a guest post from one of our Rock the Run participants, Tony Darling. Tony will be running in the P.F. Chang's Full Marathon on January 20, 2013. Support Tony as he trains & fundraises with Ear Candy Charity's Rock the Run Team.

This January I will be participating in my 7th marathon.  I started running nine years ago as a way to lose weight and get healthy.  I ran a couple of half marathons and decided to move up to the full marathon.  I think my thoughts were similar to most beginner runners:  It should only be twice as hard to run a marathon as a half marathon.  WRONG!!  Well maybe “hard” is a little strong. “Challenging” might be a better word choice.  In 2007 I ran the Chicago Marathon in 90 degree heat and had a great time. (“Great” being a relative term.)  The crowd’s reaction to the 35,000+ runners taking to the streets was so amazing.  Chicago is the only marathon I have participated in that I did not raise money for charity.   I decided to run for charities because I wanted to make the 26.2 mile journey something bigger than myself.  I chose each charity because I personally knew someone whose family was affected by the disease or issue.

This year I chose to run for Ear Candy Charity because it supports an issue and cause that I am very passionate about:  Youth Music.  It allows me to combine two of my favorite things: running and music.  It seems hard to believe but I started playing trombone 38 years back in Aurora, IL.  I remember wanting to play the trumpet but my band director knew I would be getting braces in the future so he thought the trombone might be easier once they were on.  I remember playing “Mambo from the Congo” in my first concert like it was yesterday.  I attended music camps in Junior High and went on to major in Music Business at the University of Southern Mississippi.  

Music has always been a part of my life.  Instead of ringing bells as a kid, my family and friends played Christmas carols at the Salvation Army kettle.  It has allowed me to play before thousands of West Aurora and Southern Miss football and basketball fans as well as perform with my high school jazz band when we were the opening act for Buddy Rich and band.  I have walked in many a parade both in Junior High and High School as well as a member of Legion and community bands.  Most of my closest friends I have are the ones that I performed with during my time in school.

The joy that I get from performing, whether marching on the football field on a Saturday afternoon or in an auditorium is not something you can describe, you have to experience it. (just like running a marathon)  That is why I chose to run 26.2 miles for Ear Candy  I want to give someone else the opportunity to have a chance to make not only music, but memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. 

“Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of it’s virtue.”

-       Plato 

No comments:

Post a Comment